Background

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Roomies

A few weeks ago we unexpectedly inherited some roommates.  Two of our college-age leaders, David & Alex, were supposed to move into their new house, but when they showed up from out of town with their dads to move in, they realized the space was unlivable.  No kitchen, incomplete bathroom, no carpet, construction everywhere.  Sick.  So, naturally, without asking Seth, I invited them to stay with us.  Alex said, "I guess David and I can sleep in the queen bed for a few weeks."  OMG...two grown boys sharing a bed for a month.  Hilarious.  Not to mention that Alex had just gotten his appendix removed one week prior and couldn't actually move anything.  I wasn't about to let him live in the dump house.  So, Alex took the guest room and David brought his twin bed over and set up shop in my office.  Thus, my office is now the kitchen table.  Here are a couple pics of them:

(Second from the left is David.  Far right is Alex.)

They're hilarious.  Every day that David leaves for summer school he says, "Bye, Mom!!"  I play along and we laugh a lot.

It's funny to share your house with people.  Because everyone lives differently with their families and has different quirks and habits.  But they have been good.  Since Alex doesn't have a job yet, I find him doing various chores around the house.  One day he pulled weeds.  Another day I thought he took my car somewhere, but he was really outside washing and waxing it.  I guess he thinks that's his "pay" for a place to live.  We didn't ask them to do that.  

It is harder for Seth to give up "his space" than for me.  I love to be hospitable and to have people over at all times of the day.  I have long felt that was my spiritual gift.  If I didn't have a job and wasn't trying to be responsible, I'd stay up and play Monopoly Deal with them every night until 3am.  But then again, in marriage and in life you need to have some alone time, so that has been the trickiest.  Sometimes at the end of the day we come home and I forget we have roommates.  Or in the morning, I almost go downstairs looking...inappropriate is a good word, for having boy roommates around.  (Although, they're usually asleep until noon, but you shouldn't risk it!)

When we bought our house I knew we were blessed to get more space than we really needed.  But we told the Lord we would use it for his glory.  I knew that meant giving people a place to stay and loving to welcome anyone in our home.  We've already been able to do that so many times.  We are lucky to have campaigners at our place and have kids over all the time.  The girls in my bible study treat it like it's their second home and that brings me such joy.  (Seth always feels sad when his OJ is gone, but I know he loves them dearly.  He calls them all his "boos".  Probably because they started calling Seth "Boo" because I do it.  He'll come home during BS and head upstairs and says, "Bye, Boos!")  

I know that having roommates, house guests, and visitors all the time helps to keep me grounded.  I am reminded that this is in fact, not our space.  It is the Lords.  And we are entrusted with it.  I love to ponder the lifestyle the Apostles had when they would travel from town to town.  They always had homes that welcomed them in and were hospitable in any way.  I pray that we would be a modern day example of the Acts of the Apostles. 

For my own benefit, I pray that:
  • Our home would always honor and glorify the Lord.
  • That we would remember that it is not our own, but is the Lords and that He has entrusted us with it.  Therefore, that we would care for it and be wise and responsible in purchases and investments.
  • Visitors would always feel welcome and have a place to stay...even if it has to be a couch or air mattress because there's no extra space.
  • That Seth and I would be an accurate reflection of what the Lord designed marriage to look like and that our guests would see healthy marriage habits lived out.  (I know we are not perfect, but I pray that we would strive to be selfless, loving, gentle, and pushing one another toward Christ always).
  • It would be a place of good, deep conversation, where hearts and minds are stirred to think about the Lord and what it means to walk in His ways.
  • That it would be a place of prayer, truth, confidentiality, and love.

So, if you're looking for a place to visit or need a place to stay, our home is always open and it would bring joy to my heart cook you good food.  :)

2 comments:

Shannon said...

love this post :)

Anne said...

We have our teammate Keith living with us this summer and I can totally relate to everything you're saying. It's lots of fun but I'm not used to shutting my door when I change clothes and not walking downstairs in my pajamas that are definitely not anything a boy who is not my husband should see me in.

Also, 2 days after he moved in with us we had 3 people who were in town for a wedding stay at our house, (Lauren and Ben Wassler and Chad Shepper - so 4 if you count baby Wassler) plus Keith, plus one of our LCA kids. It was a packed house, but everyone had at least a couch to sleep on and I loved it.

So I'm totally with you - I love having people stay with us. You and Seth are welcome to any time you're in Lex :)