This is me. I am messy and I love it. I get flour everywhere. Crumbs scatter the floor. Every ounce of my chopped up counter-top gets used. But I get to wear my aprons and that is super fun.
Yesterday I learned how to make pizza dough. I made a statement in February that I'd like to learn how to make one new thing a week. It's probably more like every two weeks. Kari made me buy yeast about this time last year and I forgot I had it. Turns out it's still good and it made some dang good pizza dough yesterday.
After I prepped the dough according to Anne Burrell's recipe I kneaded in some oregano and rosemary once it raised. Pizza dough ready. Except I didn't make pizza. I made a calzone. My original goal was to make dough. I hadn't really thought about what I was going to put in or on it. I tried to use any random ingredients I had around the house so as to not spend extra money this month. (We do one big grocery trip at the beginning of the month and then go sporadically throughout the month as needed for the necessities like milk, bread, lunch meat, and OJ). Basically I used everything random that I already had made. I made a bolognese sauce with sausage and beef last week. And we had some leftover Strip Steak that we grilled on Sunday night. Bunch of mozzarella...don't mind if I do! Threw all of that in a skillet with some peppers, onions, and garlic. Tada!! Calzone filling.
So, I rolled out my dough until it was about 12" in diameter. Put the filling on one side and then pulled the top over. Bundled up the overlapping edges and spread an egg wash over the top for great color. Baked at 400 for 30 minutes. You wish I took some pictures, but I didn't.
Next time I'm going to try to make Funky Chicken Calzone like they have at Pazzo's. And then a Philly Cheesesteak version.
Here's the dough recipe:
Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup warm tap water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
To make the dough:
In a small bowl add the warm (this activates the yeast. If the water is too hot the yeast will die and if the water is too cold the yeast will not activate) tap water add the dry yeast and the sugar and stir to combine. Let sit for 15 minutes. The top of the water will bubble and it will smell very yeasty, this is what you want.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and the salt. Make a well in the center of the flour and add the olive oil and the yeast/water mixture. Using a fork gradually stir the flour into the yeast/water mix. Once most of the flour has combined, turn the dough out to a smooth clean work surface and use your hands to knead the dough to a smooth consistency.
Return the dough to the mixing bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place for at least 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
No comments:
Post a Comment