Background

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Anniversary Surprises

Every year for our anniversary Seth and I plan surprises for each other.  We are supposed to rotate every year.  Somehow he did the first one and then I did the next two and then he was in charge of this year's.

Year 1: A surprise stay in a fancy hotel room, treated with free hors d'oeuvres and drinks, cookies and milk, champagne & strawberries, & a breakfast buffett in the morning. And dinner at a sweet little restaurant called Annabelle's.  He made a lot of notes along the way to get me to each place and it was precious.

Year 2: We were getting ready to move and it was crazy, but I managed to plan two get-aways so we could enjoy KY in all of it's fullness before ditching it for IN.  It included one last trip to Red River Gorge for a camping/hiking adventure, pizza and Ale-8 at Miguel's by the river, and a secondary trip to Maker's Mark Distillery for a tour and tasting.

Year 3: Supposed to be Seth's surprise, but I made him switch me because I had something tricky up my sleeve.  I knew Blink-182 was going on tour after a 5-year hiatus and the tour kicked off a couple of days before our big day.  Now, we could have gone to Cincy or Indy later on in the tour, but instead I got really sneaky and planned a GIANT adventure.  The tour started in Vegas at the Hard Rock Hotel.  My mom and I worked so hard to get tickets on Ticketmaster, but no avail.  BOOOO...  somehow my mom is amazing and emailed the band manager and manged to hook us up with a few tickets to the opening night.  Jackpot.  We decided to make it a family vacay and it was mostly free.  My dad had free flights and hotel rooms at the Paris and the Palazzo at the Venetian resorts.  Seth and I got to stay at the Paris and my mom, dad, and brother were a couple of blocks away at the Palazzo.  (GORGEOUS).  It was a super short trip.  Night one was the concert and night two we went to see a Cirque du Soleil show-- "O."  We left the next day, but it was AWESOME.  I just wish I could have contained my excitement and kept the entire trip a surprise like I orignally wanted to.  I just get so excited!!!  (Katie knows what I'm talking about!)
 

Year 4: (Just a couple of weeks ago!) A trip to St. Joseph, MI, on the coast of Lake Michigan.  It was awesome.  A surprise and I didn't have any idea.  Seth doesn't really like surprises, but I love them.  I get so jazzed up and giddy.  He hooked us up with a great hotel and we spent time on the beach at Lake Michigan.  It's actually really pretty and looks like Florida.  So much fun and important time away before our time at Young Life Camp for a few weeks.
 

Oh, boo--
I love you endlessly and am grateful for all of our adventures.  I love every surprise, even the small ones.  Like donuts and fountain pop.  Sometimes they mean the most.  :)

2 comments:

Kelli Ann said...

Jules, this is so sweet! I got a little tear in my eye reading it. I heart you two.

Katie said...

i DO know what you're talking about - you're a suprise squealer!

these anniversary stories are so precious! kyle took me on his work trip to palm beach last year as our "celebration" but i made him promise we would adopt the idea of switching off years to surprise each other.

love the pictures!