Background

Friday, May 14, 2010

This is embarrassing

So, last night I begged Seth to go walking with me.  I probably ask him 4 nights a week after dinner or whatever YL event we have.  He always says no.   The thing is that we have completely opposite inter-body clocks.  He likes to get up early & go to bed early.  I like to sleep in & stay up late.  (Last night I worked until 1:30am...)  I'm a bundle of energy at night.  He wants to check out at like 7pm.  It's made spending time together a little complex.


So, for months, I mean MONTHS, Seth has been begging me to go to this exercise class called Boot Camp at our gym.  There's like 5 million hilarious things about that...three of which should be noted:
  1. It's called "Boot Camp", so you know it's going be a butt kickin' (I'd really rather say something else there, but I won't)...
  2. The name of our gym is Bob's Gym.  Might as well be called Average Joe's with a bunch of crazies inside.   Just laugh for a second there...BOB'S GYM.
  3. Seth goes every Friday EARLY in the am...with a bunch a ladies.  Don't get me wrong, it is a sweet work out.  I mean, you are really in for it.  It just makes me laugh that no other guys go.
Anywho, since I always ask him to walk with me at night, I decided I'd go with him today.  I cannot tell you how happy he was.  I mean GIDDY with excitement.  This is sort of what he looked like:
  

It should be noted that I generally work out in the afternoon/evening.  Sometimes I ride my bike around lunch time, but I generally don't do much "physical activity" before 1pm.  Upon entering said Bob's Gym I notify our fitness instructor that I don't do mornings.  And blah, blah, blah.  She was precious and probably thinking, "Dude, I'm 5 months preggo.  If I can do it, you can do it."  Instead she was the nicest lady ever.  Here's what happened shortly after class started.

I got on a spin bike for 15 minutes of butt kicking.  Then we start to do some plyometric moves.  In general I can do all of the things she had us do.  Apparently I can't do them in the morning & I definitely can't do them before I eat.  I started to feel awful.  I mean AWFUL.  I got a little light headed.  Breann noticed.  She asked if I was okay.  I lied.  Then she said, "I'll get you Gatorade."  I sat down for like a minute and I felt so queasy.  I just wanted to puke everywhere.  But I couldn't.  It was like my body just WANTED me to feel terrible.

Okay, not true, but still...

I went to the bathroom & put a cold rag all over my face & neck.  I was at the gym, so I made it look like I'd been sweating a lot.  People are in to that at gyms...  Some girl asked me if I was okay (I had my head about into a sink in the bathroom--of course I wasn't okay).  Lied again.  

Then Seth came to check on me.  I cried a little.  I just felt so defeated.  So embarrassed.  I wanted to do it.  I wanted to show him that I could.  But I couldn't.  It was a weak moment & I forced myself to go home to save face & thus evade any further embarrassment.

So, here I am at home.  Drinking this blue Gatorade & eating orange slices, like I just finished the championship game of little league soccer.

Next time I'll eat first.  And go to the night class.

P.S. What if people start wear unitards again??  I'm getting this one:
1980s Vintage Athletic Exercise Bodysuit with Geometric design - S

2 comments:

Shannon said...

i love you. and this story.

Kari Burgess said...

i am smiling.
this kind of cracked me up.
but feeling that way sucks- but i am SO proud of you! Next time, just take Seth to Red Lobster.