Background

Monday, March 8, 2010

Confetti Corn




One of my favorite side dishes is a corn recipe adapted from Ina Garten.  

It's a super quick, simple, and easy recipe that takes about 15 minutes to make.  It's a great way to give some flavor to corn when you can't get it super fresh on the cob, like you can in the summer.  (Who doesn't love a good ear of corn lathered up with butter and salt?!?  That screams summer...)  Here's a link to the original recipe, which will make enough for 6 people.  Mine is probably better for a max of 4 people.  Or a really hungry Julie and Seth.  In addition to being a great side item you could put it over nachos or use it as a salsa.  I put mine on some Doritos with ground beef, cheddar cheese, and dipped it in sour cream.  I felt like I was eating a better version of Chipotle. It was the best!




Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil (I use extra-light tasting Bertoli)
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion (red will be prettiest, but I used yellow because that's what I had)
  • 1 small orange bell pepper or half of a large one, 1/2-inch diced  (I added green pepper too)
  • 1 tablespoons salted butter
  • 1 15 oz can sweet corn, salted
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • 1 tablespoon each julienned fresh basil, minced fresh chives, and/or minced fresh parsley leaves.  If you have fresh, it's best, but if not, just use 1/2 tablespoon of dried.  
  • I love to use fresh herbs, but I don't usually use it fast enough and it goes bad, so I typically stick with the dried.  And the dried is cheaper.  Also, tip about converting fresh herbs to dried.  Cut the amount in half.  Usually dried herbs and spices have twice as much flavor as the fresh.



Directions

Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large saute pan. Add the onion and saute for 3 minutes, until the onion is soft. Stir in the bell pepper and saute for 2 more minutes.
Add the butter to the pan and allow it to melt. Over medium heat, add the corn, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes, until the corn just loses its starchiness. Season to taste, gently stir in the basil or other green herbs, and serve hot.

No comments: